Educating, Connecting & Supporting Donor Families
The DSR has helped to connect more than
half-siblings (and/or donors) with each other.
So far, the Donor Sibling Registry has
including donors, parents and donor conceived people.
*These numbers are updated nightly
DSR on Video & TV
Confused? First-time user? Click on the button below to learn how to use the Donor Sibling Registry.
DSR Book & Brochures
Want to learn more about finding your family? Or get detailed information on the world of donor conception?
DSR has been Featured in:
Who We Are
The Donor Sibling Registry (DSR) was created in September 2000, by Wendy Kramer and her son, Ryan. Certain that other donor offspring would have the same curiosity as Ryan about his genetic origins - yet also knowing that sadly, no public outlet existed for mutual consent contact between people born from anonymous sperm donation, this site was started as the logical next step to making those connections.
In addition to the registered members, several thousand people check the site regularly. The DSR averages more than 16,000 unique visitors to the site each month and is a worldwide organization, matching people in Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Cayman Islands, Chile, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Haiti, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Kenya, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, S. Africa, S. Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tanzania, The Netherlands, Turkey, USA and the UK.
How to Use the Donor Sibling Registry
To Find Family: After you add a posting to the DSR, you will then get automatic DSR emails when you have a match, when a DSR member has sent you a message, and when anyone who has used your donor adds information to the medical page that is specifically for your donor. Just because you don't see someone already listed with your donor number, doesn't mean you don't have a match. Many people are out there waiting to post until they see another posting for their donor - so be the first!
Make sure to always have an up-to-date email address listed on the DSR.
And please, never sign up with a second username- either the site can send you your password, or just email Wendy to re-set it!
Where We Are: DSR Members Around the World
View More Success Stories
My brother Jason and I have the same donor and were born 8 months apart. He found my DSR profile on New Year's Day of 2014, and we met each other in person shortly after. We felt an instant connection, and feel so lucky to have found each other. This picture is from my wedding in 2015. You can see how close we've become! All thanks to you and the DSR.
- Reproductive BioMedicine Online 2017
"Long-Term Breast Cancer Risk Following Ovarian Stimulation in Young Egg Donors: A Call for Follow-up, Research, and Informed Consent."
- Collaboration with the University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge in the UK, in coordination with the New School in NY, conducted face-to-face interviews with DSR families to obtain more in-depth information about the experiences of contact amongst families." 2 papers in 2016:
- Fertility and Sterility
This study was undertaken by the Centre for Family Research (CFR) at the University of Cambridge in collaboration with the DSR "Integrating donor conception into identity development: Adolescents in fatherless families."
- Children and Society
This study was undertaken by the Centre for Family Research (CFR) at the University of Cambridge in collaboration with the DSR. Twenty-three donor-conceived adolescents aged 12-19 years living in single mother or dual parent lesbian households...
- Journal of Family Issues
This article replicates an earlier study of mothers who had used the same sperm donor to conceive their children and connected through the Internet.The original study finds that these groups interact mainly on the Internet; donor siblings are latent affiliations that could...
- Social Science and Medicine
This paper compares three groups of gestational mothers who relied on gametes from donors they did not know. The three groups are women who have conceived with donor sperm and their own eggs, women who have conceived with donor eggs and a partner's sperm...
Recent & Upcoming News
- OC Register: L.A. Sperm Donor Connects With 19 Children
- NY Post: Why It's Crucial We Regulate Sperm Donors
- People Magazine: 18 Kids and Counting, One Sperm Donor's Story
- NY Post: How I Never Met Your Father
- WISC-TV: More regulation/protection for donor offspring
- NBC News Colorado: Sperm Donor's Medical History
- NBC News Atlanta: Sperm For Sale
- Sign our FDA Citizen's Petition: Request that the FDA develop appropriate and much needed regulation/oversight. BioNews Commentary
January and February 2017
- Clarin (Argentina's largest newspaper): "Hay que abrir toda la información a los niños sobre cómo fueron concebidos" | English Translation.
- CBS This Morning: Lost Samples, Poor Screening: Sperm Bank Industry Oversight Examined
- CBC News: Canadian sperm donor registry overdue, families say
- CBC News: Teen offspring of anonymous sperm donor find each other through online registry
- IndyStar: Indianapolis fertility doctor accused of using own sperm
- NY Times: Sperm Banks Accused of Losing Samples and Lying About Donors
- What It’s Like to Find Your 17 Sperm Donor Siblings on the Internet
- Prolific sperm donor flies to Seattle to meet several of his children
DSR Huffington Post
- Sperm/Egg Donation: Genetics & Mental Illness
- Half Siblings from Sperm & Egg Donation
- Sperm & Egg Donation: Telling is the First Step
- 1 Week Of News: Sperm Donation Industry
- FDA Citizen's Petition: The Need for Sperm Bank Regulation
- 10 Things Your Dr/Clinic/Sperm Bank Won't Tell You
- Wendy and Ryan's Story by Ellen Glazer
- There Are No Laws Prohibiting Recipients From Contacting Donors
- "Donor Babies" are Sometimes Grandparents!
- A Multi-Billion $$ Unregulated Industry With No Oversight. What Could Possibly Go Wrong?
- A Brief History of Donor Conception
- The DSR Reaches 50,000 Members
- Sperm Donation Needs Federal Regulation
- Egg Donation: Reporting Discrepancies & Medical Issues
- Thinking About Selling Your Sperm or Eggs?
- An Open Invitation to All Sperm Banks
- The New "Check Box" For Pediatrician's Forms
- DNA = Donors Not Anonymous
- NBC Story: 48 Donor Siblings and the ASRM
- Biology and Birth Certificates: Our Right to Accuracy
- Donor Families Connecting: Love or Fear?
- 30k-60k US Sperm and Egg Donor Births Per Year?
- Grandparents via Donor Conception
- Donor Conceived People: The Reproductive Medicine Industry Disconnect
- The Voting Booth of Sperm and Egg Donor Anonymity
- Sperm Donors Who Wish to Remain Anonymous Just Shouldn't Donate.
- Roots and Wings for Donor Offspring
- The Ethical Sperm Bank: An All-Open Sperm Bank. An Idea Whose Time Has Come