Welcome to "Site Help," a special section of the site dedicated to help you learn how to interact with and use the DSR to its fullest potential.
There are really only a few basic steps involved in using the DSR:
1. Register as a member.
2. Add a posting to one or more of the facilities (sperm banks/clinics/doctor) listed within the DSR. If your facility is not already listed, you may need to add it first. If you know your facility, and see it listed already, simply post under it. For folks who have both a doctor/clinic and a sperm bank- post under both places, as your matches may only post under one or the other.
If you are not sure of the facility/clinic/doctor name, there are "Misc" listings by decade, e.g. "Misc 1960s." Please browse through those postings to see how others with limited information have posted.
3. Check to see if you have any matches, either by using the "Browse by Clinic" or the "Search the Registry" tabs.
- How Do I Register As A Member?
- How Do I Add A Posting?
- How Do I Add A Facility?
- How Do I Edit My Postings?
- How Do I Edit My Medical/Genetic/Donor Survey Information?
- How Do I Edit My Personal/Account Information?
- How Does The Message System Work?
- How do I view photos? (See the bottom of this page!)
If you are new to the DSR, the first thing you must do to begin looking for a donor or offspring match is join the site.
1. Click on "Join Now" to begin this process.
2. Read and fill out the form on the "Signing Up" page. Remember that your contact information will be kept anonymous unless you specifically choose to make some or all of it public.
3. Click on "Sign Up Now."
4. You will now be prompted to pay the DSR. Enter your billing information and credit card information into the form. Membership is $75/year or $175/permanent to add a posting and/or to contact others. If you want to use a check to purchase a permanent membership, please mail $175 to the DSR at PO Box 1571, Nederland, CO 80466.
5. Click on "Charge My Card Now."
6. Congratulations! You are now a listed member of the DSR!
Remember! Registering as a member is not the same as adding a posting. In order to actually have your information be listed in the DSR database (and to find any donor/sibling matches), you must add a Post underneath one of the DSR's listed Sperm/Egg Donor facilities. See "How Do I Add a Posting?" below.
Adding a posting to the DSR is the most crucial step in finding donor and sibling matches through our database.
1. Log in.
2. Click on "Add a New Posting."
3.. Carefully read and fill out the "Step 1" form. Remember, if you don't see your facility listed, you will need to Add it to the site before you can post to it. Post under your sperm bank first, if known. You can also post under your doctor/clinic if you are not sure where the sperm originated, or if you think it might help others who used the same doctor/clinic to know where their vials came from. See "How Do I Add a Facility," below, if you need to add your doctor/clinic.
4. Click "Next..."
5. Carefully read and fill out the "Step 2" form as completely as possible. Information that you do not know, or would rather keep confidential, simply leave blank.
6. Click "Submit Posting."
7. Congratulations! Your posting has been included in the DSR database.
You may inspect your posting by selecting "Browse By Clinic" from the top navigation bar, and then selecting the facility you posted to.
Should I post even if I only have limited donor information?
Even the limited information you do have may be enough to start finding similar donors. If you click on "Browse by Clinic" and scroll down to the listings for "Misc Clinics," you can see that many people have posted with only limited donor information. Within each clinic, many people sign up with "unknown" (leaving the donor number area blank) in the place of a donor number.
Many people sign up on the DSR without knowing their donor number. Post under the doctor or clinic that your mom used, if you don't know, use the "Misc Clinics" lists, which are by decade. Put as much information as you can in the posting. If someone else comes on whose mother used the same doctor, same clinic, was in the same area, in the same time period, you could compare notes/photos, and if you had enough in common, you could do a DNA test. This is how others have found half-siblings and donors on the DSR without the luxury of donor numbers.
The DSR has an extensive listing of Fertility/Donor Clinics/Sperm Banks, but our database is by no means exhaustive. If you cannot find the facility you are looking for, please add it using the instructions below. (Remember: post under your sperm bank if you know it):
1. Log in.
2. Click on "Add A New Facility."
3. Carefully read and fill out the new facility form. Please try to be as accurate as possible with the facility information.
4. Click "Submit for Approval."
5. Your facility has now been submitted to the DSR administrator for approval.
Once the new facility has been approved (1-24 hours), it will become available for viewing and posting.
Remember: Once you have added a new Facility to the site, you will still need to Post underneath it in order to be listed and find matches. Once the new facility has been approved and is visible on the site, see "How Do I Add a Posting," above.
1. Log in.
2. Click on "Edit a Posting" to be taken to a list of your postings. You will see a small pencil/notepad icon to the left side of your posting, labeled "Edit a Posting." Click on this icon.
3. Make any changes you desire to the form information.
4. Click "Submit Update." Or, if you wish to remove the posting from the DSR entirely, click "Delete."
1. Log in.
2. Click on "Edit a Posting" to be taken to a list of your postings. You will see a small icons (medical, edit posting, donor survey) to the left side of your posting. Click on the icon that contains the information you'd like to update.
3. Make any changes you desire.
4. Click "Save Changes."
To edit your user information (change password, update contact information, etc.), use either one of the following:
1. Log in.
2. Click on "Manage Your Profile."
3. Make your changes and click on "Save Changes."
First, you send a message to the person's hidden e-mail address that you want to contact. That person automatically gets an e-mail from the DSR No-Reply box saying you are trying to send them a message (if the person you are trying to reach is not a paying member, they will get an email telling them they have mail but need to pay first--the message will still be waiting for them when they can finally access their messages AS LONG AS THE E-MAIL ADDRESS THAT IS PROVIDED ON THEIR POSTING IS CORRECT AND UP-TO-DATE). If a member's email address is undeliverable, Wendy will send a snail mail letter, telling them that they need to come to the site. We try very hard to help people connect!
The message from the No-Reply box will have a link to the message that is at the DSR site under your username, either click on that link or go to www.donorsiblingregistry.com, sign in with your username and password, click on "Message Center" to view all the messages you have received and sent.
You CANNOT reply to the message that you receive from the DSR No-Reply box, it will come back to you. You need to go to your message on the DSR to reply from there. If the person lists his or her e-mail in the message, you can reply to that.
Important: You may need to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your list of approved senders so that important messages do not get sent to your SPAM folder.
How Do I View My (Or My Match's) Photos?
You need to be looking at the posting (yours, or the person who has uploaded the photos) to see the little photo icon. Here are just a couple of ways to do that:
2. Click on "Browse by Clinic", choose your clinic, scroll down to the postings for your donor number, and within them the little photo icon to click on.
When you upload photos you have two options:
1. You can make them viewable to all DSR members.
2. You can make them only viewable to your match families (others who have posted with the same donor facility/number as you).